Academic Literacy for Education Students addresses the needs of students in higher education in South Africa today by focussing on the essential role of academic reading and writing skills. While the book will improve the academic performance of any undergraduate student, it is specifically aimed at first-year Bachelor of Education students taking courses in academic literacy.
•Individual, pair and group activities allow students to practise the thinking, reading, writing and study skills they have acquired.
• Discussion points encourage debate and allow students to formulate and express their opinions.
• Extracts from various source texts familiarise students with pedagogical ideas and approaches they will encounter during their studies in Education.
• A chapter on visual literacy demonstrates how to interpret and draw up graphic representations such as pictures, tables, charts and graphs.
• Explanations of difficult words in the shoulder of the book make the text more accessible and broaden students' vocabulary.
• A glossary of important Education terms supports discipline-specific learning